em 13 de Junho de 2019
English Phrasal Verbs with MAKE
Make away with
- Meaning: Steal
- Example: Thieves made away with£50,000 of jewellery in last night’s heist.
- Meaning: Cause (the first object) to become (the second object); to change or transform
- Example: Basic training will make you intoa man.
Make it up to
- Meaning: Pay back; to return someone a previous good deed
- Example: You’ve been so kind to me, how can I make it up to you?
- Meaning: Form an opinion about (someone or something)
- Example: What do you make of the new guy?
- Meaning: Draw up (a document etc.), to designate (a cheque) to a given recipient, payee
- Example: Cheques may be made out to the Foo Bar Company.
- Meaning: Manage, get along; to do (well, badly etc.)
- Example: Oh, you were on a TV game show? How did you make out?
- Meaning: Represent; to make (something) appear to be true
- Example: His version of the story makes me out to be the bad guy.
- Meaning: Kiss passionately
- Example: We found a secluded spot where we could make out in private.
Make out of
- Meaning: Construct from; to create (something) using (a material or substance)
- Example: I’ll make a quilt out of your mother’s old shirts.
- Meaning: Renovate or to convert to a different use, particularly houses, offices, or rooms within them
- Example: We’re going to make over the garage into a guest suite.
- Meaning: Create a new physical look, especially with a new hairstyle, cosmetics, or clothes
- Example: Cindy is going to make overKaren tomorrow.
- Meaning: Improve upon and/or take in a new direction
- Example: The senator needs to make overhis image.
- Meaning: Compensate, fill in or catch up
- Example: He can make up the time next week.
- Meaning: Invent, imagine, or concoct (a story, claim, etc.)
- Example: He was a great storyteller and could make up a story on the spot.
- Meaning: Assemble, or mix
- Example: I can make up a batch of stew in a few minutes, but it will take a few hours to cook.
- Meaning: Apply cosmetics or makeup to
- Example: Let’s leave as soon as I make upmy face.
- Meaning: Resolve, forgive or smooth over an argument or fight
- Example: They fight a lot, but they always manage to make up.
- Meaning: Make progress
- Example: He was starting to make his wayin the world.