em 18 de Novembro de 2019
Funny Idioms And Their Meanings
Here is a list of commonly used funny idioms in English:
1. As Cool as a Cucumber
Very calm and composed and untroubled by stress
2. Hold your Horses
Wait a moment
3. Kick the Bucket
4. Blue in the Face (Color Idioms)
Weakened or tired after trying many times
5. A Storm in a Teacup
A big fuss made about something of little importance
6. Bob’s your Uncle
It’s as simple as that
7. Head in the Clouds
Living in a fantasy
8. Dead as a Doornail
Completely dead or unusable
9. A Piece of Cake (Easy Synonym)
Something very easy to do
10. Heart in your Mouth
Extremely frightened or anxious
11. Do a Devon Loch
To fail when you are very close to winning
12. Do a Runner
To leave a place quickly in order to escape trouble or to avoid paying for something
13. Enough to Cobble Dogs with
A surplus of anything
14. Fall Off the Back of a Lorry
You acquired something that was probably stolen, or you are trying to sell something that’s stolen or illegitimate
15. Hairy at the Heel
Someone who is ill-bred, dangerous or untrustworthy
16. Cat’s Arse
To describe the facial expression adopted by a scorned woman
17. For Donkey’s Years
Very long time
18. All Talk and No Trousers
All talk but no action
19. When Pigs Fly
Whatever you are discussing will never happen
20. Cat Got Your Tongue
Something you say to someone when they will not speak
21. Have a One-Track Mind!
If someone has a one-track mind, they spend most of their time thinking about one subject
22. Chew the Fat
To chat or gossip
23. The Lights are On, but Nobody’s Home
About a stupid person
24. To have Van Gogh’s Ear for Music
To be done deaf
25. Use Your Loaf
Use your head, think smartExamples of Funny Idioms
- She looks efficient and as cool as a cucumber.
- Just hold your horses, Bill! Let’s think about this for a moment.
- If I take your medicine, I’ll definitely kick the bucket.
- You can telephone her till you’re blue in the face but she’ll never come.
- Their arguments were like a storm in a teacup.
- Press here and Bob’s your uncle! It’s disappeared.
- The treaty may be considered to be as dead as a doornail.
- The exam was a piece of cake.
- Sure he’ll pay for the drinks when pigs fly!
- The old man would chew the fat with anyone would join him.
- Going to be a useful boy, so long as you use your loaf.