em 20 de Março de 2019
What are Question Tags?
We use question tags at the end of statements to ask for confirmation. They mean something like: “Are you okay?” or “Do you think so?” They are very common in English.
Rules for Forming Tag Questions
How to Form Question Tags in English?
To form the two-word tag questions, you must follow the rules below:
- The subject in the statement matches the subject in the tag.
- The auxiliary verb or verb to be in the statement matches the verb used in the tag.
- If the statement is positive, the tag is usually negative and vice versa.
- He’s read this book, hasn’t he?
- He read this book, didn’t he?
- He’s reading this book, isn’t he?
- He reads a lot of books, doesn’t he?
- He’ll read this book, won’t he?
- He should read this book, shouldn’t he?
- He can read this book, can’t he?
- He’d read this book, wouldn’t he?